Sad news from the Farm 16

Jake came in crying today after going out to feed the horses.  Cherokee (the late 20's or early 30's old guy) was dead in his stall!

He was old and there weren't any signs of injury or illness so we figure that he just died during his sleep last night.

You just never know what the day is going to bring do you?  We knew that he was old, but he seemed well… “as healthy as a horse”.  We had just enjoyed a great ride last week and he'd been escaping from the fence just nights ago.  He was such a sweet guy.  We're very thankful that he never had to suffer (or run up huge vet bills… sorry, got to be practical), but it's hard to imagine finding another kind, gentle, well trained horse as him.  And poor Billy, he's lost his good pasture pal.  I tell you this is hard on all of us.

Losing an animal is hard on anyone – whether they live in the city or the country.  I guess you just have to deal with it a little more often in the country since you have more animals.  I know Harriette just lost a bunch of chickens.  And forwhatever reason, for me, I always have that flash of “what if we lost the other animals as well”.  I don't know if that's some twisted form of gratitude to just be thankful that it wasn't worse or a fear of “what if's”, but it's there.

I just have to focus on God's gentleness though.  I know that He knows (and cares) about how much Cherokee meant to us.  Makes me wonder if us finding Mary Jane and taking such delight in her was a gift from Him to soften the blow of losing Cherokee.  Those are just things I wonder.

Mostly though I know that as I patted Cherokee's precious old face to tell him goodbye, I felt such love as I said, “Well done good and faithful servant.”  May I be such a blessing and joy to my LORD that one day He can say the same of me.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

16 thoughts on “Sad news from the Farm

Janne

I am so sorry for your loss. :(

I can never get used to animal deaths. I love living on a farm, but don’t think I am cut out for farm life. When one of my baby goats died, I was crushed.

Juliestew

i’m so sorry. how sad. i remember my sister losing her horse. i cried. cherokee looks so gently and loving with his fuzzy face. we love you guys and are thinking about you.

do you remember me talking about the Shurdens that we lived across from in TN? they are losing their oldest daughter Kaitlin as we speak. she’s 15 and has had a brain injury since she was one, wheel chair bound and unable to communicate to a large degree, with the world. please keep them in your prayers as you grieve cherokee.

love,julie

JillNovak

Nancy,

I’m going to share this with Claire. She’ll be so very sad. I can just see you loving on that animal. God bless you all. I am so very glad you kept your dog.

Jill

MelM

Nancy,

I’m sitting here crying…I just don’t even know what to say but that I’m so sorry for your loss. I don’t care what anybody says…animals are family too.

< <>>

Mel

DandelionSeeds

Please take a moment to stop by my blog and read a prayer request for a woman whose blog I came across… she needs prayer.

Blessings,

Amy

sunni

Hi. I read your post and I just wanted to say sorry about the horse. It is true though, going in their sleep is much easier on the animal and the family. We live on 5 acres and have animals also. We don’t have horses though (A riding accident I had at 15 made me leary of horses to this day) I will pet them, but prefer they be on one side of the fence and me on the other. My children have ridden at my aunts, but only her older two horses. Not me anymore. I hope it’s ok, I will add you to my friends list. I love reading about other country folks! I am a city girl turned country and we are having a ball! I look forward to reading your posts in the future.

ClagettsFLStyle

My prayers go out to you and your family. I can only imagine the loss you are feeling now.

Before we moved to FL, we used to live on a small farm in MD.I was blessed in having a beautiful welsh/arab gelding. He was diagnosed with West Nile at one point and not given a lot of hope. There were lots of horses in MD at that time dying from West Nile. After lots of prayers we decided to just do the basic of what we could do and go from there. It’s a very long story, but in the end, God was kind to this creature and he now is thriving at his new home in MD and living the good life. My vet said the only thing that could have saved him was some ‘diving’ intervention.. and that’s what happened.

But I remember feeling a terrible feeling of loss at the time, thinking I would have to put him down. I did not want to have to do that. It’s nice to know that it sounds like your dear beloved, faithful friend was able to go in the peace of his sleep. I pray that you will always be able to remember the good times and the good rides with him you were blessed with.

“Have you given the horse strength?

Have you clothed his neck with thunder?

Can you frighten him like a locust?

His majestic snorting strikes terror.

He paws in the valley, and rejoices in his strength;

He gallops into the clash of arms.

He mocks at fear, and is not frightened;

Nor does he turn back from the sword.”

– Job 39:19-22

eyecorn

I’m so sorry to hear about the loss of your horse. The loss of a pet is tough. I remember when we lost our first cat…I had never had a pet before…I thought, “oh, we’ll just bury her and be done with it.” Wow, I wasn’t prepared for the flood of emotion. I hope your children are doing ok…it’s hard to watch them grieve, too.

Michelle

Junosmom

Sorry for your family’s loss, TC. Each time my kids come back from the barn, I hold my breath. “Everyone OK?” I’ll ask. We’ve experienced the loss of our 30+yr old pony that had given the girls their first riding lessons. He also died in his stall. He came with our house. We’ve lost our dog, birds, chickens, hamsters, etc. It is always so sad.

Through the sadness, though, comes strength. My children, though pet ownership, learn the joy of love and the pain of loss while I am there to help them. They learn that it is okay to grieve, to remember, to be sad. Cherokee is part of them now, and shapes the future of who they’ll be for having known him.

When my beloved Juno died, I planted a tree for her. Each day I look at that tree, I remember her.

TNMOMTO5BLESSINGS

We’ve lost many animals here at our littel farm to. However, yours sounds like it was a special animal. I know he was blessed to be so loved. May you all rest knowing that his death was peaceful.

Maria

lynan

I’m sorry! I couldn’t find our bird this afternoon and I was scared-we lost her mom (literally) when they were outside one day. So even losing a little teeny pet is hard! They are part of the family!