Our version of alternative housing

While we have read a lot about straw bale housing, we finally decided to actually it was time to do some actual construction!

Of course, we only wanted to spend about $25 so no big fancy house or anything.

Instead, we decided to build a straw bale dog house for our beasties!

We found straw bales locally for $2.50/bale and bought 12 of them. We used two of them in the barn and the rest for the actual dog house.

Two for each side, two for each section on the front, then we put the old messed up top from our picnic table (covered with a tarp) across the top, and  then used the last two bales to weigh it down.

Tony and the boys made it big enough for all three dogs. Not that Mary Jane will actually let everyone in there. But, we tried anyway.

Hank says it’s very cozy in there.

But he’s got other things to do – places to go, people to see, things to bark at.

And Faith approved too. She thought it was very nice of us to build a house for the OUTSIDE dogs, but she reminded us that she’s an inside dog and that she really must get back in the house and guard the recliner. She’s dedicated like that! All business, all the time.

But Mary Jane? She LOVES it. And has claimed it as hers alone.

11 comments for “Our version of alternative housing

1. Anonymous
    December 30, 2008 at 7:00 PM

Wow! Is Mary Jane a Mastiff or bull mastiff? We have a mastiff, or should I say, a mastiff has us! Rarely do you see them out there! I found you from Violin Mom – I'm Modern Day Ozzie and Harriet. Your hay bale house looks like fun, and I'll bet Mary Jane loved it because it's warm!

Happy new year to you and yours!

2. Juliestew
    December 30, 2008 at 9:09 PM

so cute. you must feel very loved today! so many emails and so many who love and respect you.

wish i was there to give you a hug.

we miss you

3. tn3jcarter
    December 30, 2008 at 10:57 PM

Mary Jane is an English Mastiff. We actually adopted her from an individual a couple of years ago on my birthday when she was almost 1. She is SUCH a sweetheart – the absolute perfect big dog for living out in the country. We love her SO much.

4. Becky
    December 31, 2008 at 8:47 AM

Wow, those dogs have it made. I need to try that and maybe get my big boy out from in front of the door.

Nice looking doggies!

5. brumbemom
    December 31, 2008 at 9:43 AM

Your pictures are always so cute.

That is a very clever idea. We have a Golden Retriever and the only house she has ever had is ours. She would be so insulted if she thought her home was outside. Aren't animals so spoiled?!?

I love the idea though :-)

6. eyecorn
    December 31, 2008 at 12:35 PM

How adorable. Even your dogs got organized for the new year!

….has to guard the recliner….*snicker* Faith looks like she would be a ferocious and cute recliner guard!

7. westward
    December 31, 2008 at 12:51 PM

Love it! I'm sure the dogs will be as cozy as if they had a fire crackling beside them. :o)

8. ilovemy3angelbabies
    December 31, 2008 at 4:29 PM

What a great idea! I have a friend that I am going to share this with. She has outside dogs and the German Shepherd is forever pulling apart her plastic Igloo dog house. Maybe this would be better for her and much WARMER! 😀

Your little "Beasties" are BEAUTIFUL! It is so easy to see how much they are all LOVED!

Blessings to you and your family and Happy New Year!

Edited by ilovemy3angelbabies on Dec. 31, 2008 at 4:29 PM

9. Junosmom
    January 1, 2009 at 10:09 AM

I have seen this construction for chicken coops, though you cannot use a heat lamp.

10. Nancy
    January 4, 2009 at 11:21 PM

Hey Nancy! I always wanted to build one of those too! I love yours and that's a pretty nifty idea. We might have to do that for our dog and his best friends that hang out in our yard…wonder if the cats would like it too? I absolutely love the pic of Mary Sue or Jane…can't remember which name it was, but she's adorable!

11. Anonymous
    January 16, 2009 at 6:56 PM

Wow, what a lovely dog you have!