Perspective 17

This week’s Homeschool Minute is all about perspective.

Need help keeping things in perspective?

Check this out.

My boy is going to graduate this year. Gulp. Graduate.

I had to design a yearbook page for our homeschool co-op’s yearbook and that’s when it really set in. He won’t be coming to co-op with us next year. He won’t be going on field trips. He’ll be working or heading off to college.

We’re almost finished.

In some ways, I’m happy. I’m happy for the young man he’s become. For how responsible, hard-working, caring, trustworthy, and smart he is. For the way he thinks things through and how gifted he is at fixing things. For the work that God has done in Him despite our humble efforts and mistakes. For the fact that he still loves us even though he’s had to survive being the typical first-child guinea pig. For all that there is to look forward to in his life.

I’m happy for all of that, really I am.

But I’m a mom, and it’s a little hard too.

I’m gonna miss homeschooling the big lug, working alongside him, seeing that light bulb come on as he figures things out, and laughing over the goofiest things in our lessons sometimes. I’m going to miss talking with him all throughout the day.

And I’m so, so thankful for all of the time I’ve had with him.

For what HE has taught ME and the lessons we learned alongside each other. For the time that he’s had with his brothers. For what he’s learned as we’ve gone through good times and bad times together. For the fact that Tony has gotten the privilege of being his best friend.

All the stress over little things along the way doesn’t really matter anymore. Keep your eye on the big things. That’s what really matters.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

17 thoughts on “Perspective

Anonymous

WOW! I NEEDED THIS "perspective" today because it has gotten so "hard" lately for all of us here in our school. Since I have "credentials" as a teacher, I continuously put pressure on myself over every BIG and little thing! I sometimes feel on an island of some sort (not tropical) when going through "tough" stuff with my kids. Without the Lord, I would've thrown in the towel years ago. I know my kids are worth it, but LORD HELP ME!

Lord help and bless all the homeschool moms in the US and around the world. GIve us strength and WISDOM today and everyday! AMEN!

Anonymous

That's so true–the little things won't really matter later on. Joe is a wonderful, strong, & fun young man. God has certainly blessed your & Tony's efforts : )

Chris from centeredathome.blogspot.com/

"All the stress over little things along the way doesn't really matter anymore. Keep your eye on the big things. That's what really matters." That's a quotation worthy of posting on my bathroom mirror or kitchen window!

I've done the most stressing out over my oldest – because he's "higher maintenance" and he was the first, the guinea pig. But seeing how he and I have both survived the problems, and seeing how he has grown over the years encourages me with my younger two boys.

Congratulations to you, Nancy, on getting this far, even when times weren't easy. You have been faithful!

Anonymous

Sniff…sniff….you make me wanna cry!

I have been blessed to know what an awesome young man he is! He is going to great when he graduates because of his parents.

I truly enjoyed today's M2M. It helped me put things in perspective!

((hugs))

Jennifer Sikora

Anonymous

Thanks for that reminder. I keep losing sight of that. It is so easy to get caught up in what is thought to be the 'requirements' of education. I need to sit back and look at the big picture and LOVE my son through this rather than drag him through.

Again, thanks.

Anonymous

Ok–now you've got me all teared up. Beautifully written reminder! God is so good, isn't He?

Congratulations to your fine son (You and Tony, too!)

Eleanor J

Anonymous

I had to wait to post a comment because the first 10 times I read this I got too choked up. It's even difficult now. You are truly amazing at putting your heart felt thoughts into this blog. I don't know how you do it. Thank you so much for being such a wonderful mom and teacher to our boys. I know it's not always easy, but it's truly a blessing for our family that you can do this. Don't forget what a difference you've made in their lives.

I love you.

Tony

Anonymous

What a great article you wrote for Feb. 27th on whining etc. I enjoyed reading it!

Thank-you for your uplifting writing's I look forward to reading them weekly.

Blessing's

Heidi from Our Humble Homestead

writmm

They grow up so quickly. My 13 year old boy is shaving. This is the first year that we didn't have Santa visiting our house in 20 years – I miss the bigguy!

mijubrifarms

It's been 6 years since I graduated my first homeschooler (DS-Crocus), but I remember all that anxiousness just like it was yesterday. It felt so empty when he went to college without me. And he lived at home and went to local university!! Then he graduated from college and moved far, far away to the other side of the country. Thank G-d for email, internet, skypes, and cell phones!

Enjoy this time and make it special for both of you. It goes far to fast. It's been six years since I graduated my first, and just over 6 mos since I graduated the baby.

So, I will keep you and your son in my prayers…that this next few months will be ever so joyful for you both.

Julie

basketflat

I really can't even imagine my girls grown up right now. That just blows the mind. How awesome to see the fruit of your labor and be able to move on to the next stage, but hard.

Cathy